If you are someone that lives in a moist, humid climate or if you have allergies to mold and mildew, then you are a good candidate for a dehumidifier. As you may well know, this is a device that takes excess moisture and humidity out of the air in a room. These can be used on a small scale, such as in an individual room, as well as for industrial applications where air moisture needs to be decreased. However with the many different features available it can be confusing to decide which best suits your needs, which is why we put together a range of reviews and a comparison chart of all the different dehumidifier features available.
The interactive comparison chart can be found below and contains details on the 10 most popular dehumidifier models available in the UK for your to compare features. You may click on the top of each column to sort the table as you wish, and each term is described in detail in the following legend…
- Extraction Rate – Determines how much moisture can be extracted from the air in 24 hours under industry standard conditions of 30°C and 80% Relative Humidity.
- Tank Capacity in Litres – The capacity determines how much water can be extracted from the air before the dehumidifier will turn itself off and need emptying.
- Anti Frost – Whether the unit can self defrost itself when running in cold temperatures (under 5°C) or at least turn itself off under these conditions. Compressor free units have no need of an anti frost feature due to the different technology used.
- Continuous Drainage – Can the unit be hooked up to a length of hose to enable to the unit to run 24 hours a day without need to be emptied as the moisture is drained from the other end of the hose, into a drain for example.
- Price – The exact best price changes frequently based on availability and any special promotions for example, however roughly speaking you’d be looking at… £ = under £60, ££ = £60 to £130, £££ = £130 to £160, ££££ = £160 to £200 and £££££ = £200 plus.
|Dehumidifier Model||Extraction Rate||Tank Capacity||Anti Frost||Continuous Drainage||Price||Rating|
|ECO DD322FW Desiccant||10||3.5||Not Needed||Y||££££||4.6|
|Meaco Dehumidifier 10L Per Day||10||2||y||y||££||4.6|
|Prem-I-Air Advanced Compact Series||12||1.5||y||n||££||4.5|
|Duracraft DD-TEC10E Dehumidifier||10||2.9||y||y||£££||4.5|
|EcoAir Desiccant DD122FW Simple||7||2||Not Needed||y||£££||4.4|
|Desiccant DD122FW MK5 Classic with Ioniser & Silver Filter||7||2||Not Needed||y||£££||4.4|
|Mitsubishi Electric MJ-E16V-E1||16||4||y||y||£££££||4.4|
|500ml AirPro Mini Compact Air||0.25||0.5||n||n||£||4.3|
|ELA RD12D Digital Dehumidifier||12||2||n||y||££||4.3|
Benefits of Using a Dehumidifier
Many people have gotten relief from adding a dehumidifier to their home. Like many dehumidifier reviews, this one will break down the benefits of using such a device, as well as some of the most popular brands. It is vital to read dehumidifier reviews so that you can make the correct choice for your home or office. First, you should know some of the benefits of using these wonderful little devices.
There are many advantages to using a dehumidifier, especially for people that live in humid environments. Moist air can cause a number of health issues and will also make it harder to evaporate sweat, which can make people in humid climates more uncomfortable. In addition, moisture can cause damage to clothing, furniture and books. Here are some of the main benefits of using a dehumidifier:
- A Dehumidifier will reduce the amount of moisture in the air, which will make it easier to breathe and easier for your sweat to evaporate.
- This directly reduces the amount of mold, mildew and dust mites in a room. Mold, mildew and dust mites are some of the leading causes of allergies in the world. Those that are allergic to these can suffer from symptoms such as: Nasal blockage or stuffiness, eye and nose irritation, respiratory problems and wheezing or outbreaks of hives
- By removing the excess moisture, a dehumidifier can help reduce the chances of allergy attacks.
- A dehumidifier will reduce mold and mildew damage. Anyone that has lived in a very humid climate has probably had issues keeping mold off of their clothing, furniture and books. A good dehumidifier will help stop damage to a property that may result from mildew or mold.
Now that you know some of the benefits of using a dehumidifier you can start to read some dehumidifier reviews to see which product will work best for your home or environment. You should read several dehumidifier reviews to get a good idea of the different types and brands on the market.
Top Dehumidifiers on the Market
Here are a few dehumidifier reviews of some of the most popular brands on the market today. These dehumidifier reviews will start with ones that are considered the “Best” on the market and move towards dehumidifiers that were not rated as highly. All of these will work fine in a normal household environment.
- Frigidaire FAD704TDP- This dehumidifier has received top marks in most dehumidifier reviews and is known to reduce humidity better than just about any other model on the market. Some of its top features:
- 70 pint storage capability
- Side port for easy draining
- Slide out handle for easy moving
- Reservoir window makes it easy to see fill level
- Easy to use controls
- Quite and energy efficient
The design and efficiency of this model have made it one of the best bargains on the market.
- This dehumidifier also scored high on tests and in reviews. Users were especially impressed with how quiet and easy to use this model is. Some of the main features:
- Aesthetically pleasing black color
- Easy tank removal
- Quiet and efficient operation
- User-friendly design and controls
The only knock against this model is that some find it a bit too heavy, which makes it difficult to move from room to room.
- Meaco 10L Dehumidifier – This model is known as one of the most energy efficient dehumidifiers on the market. It also features:
- Dust Filter
- Easy to use humidistat
- Ergonomic design
The negative to this model is that is it fairly heavy. Some users have also complained that the filter is hard to remove and that it doesn’t have a viewing window to check water level.
- Prem-i-air Advanced Compact Series – This model was rated highly because it offers a combination of powerfull features and one of the most competitive prices around, outperforming many higher priced units. It also features:
- Easy to use controls
- Very quiet whilst operating
- Long lasting reservoir for reducing filling
The downside to this model is that it has a slightly smaller tank capacity than similar models, at 1.5 litres which is where it manages to save on size.
- Duracraft DD-TEC10E – This model is currently fifth in our chart and its easy to see why when you see its features such as:
- High extraction rate and 2.9 litre water bucket puts this towards the upper end of the scale.
- With free wheeling castors it is easy as can be to transport the unit to different rooms.
- Visual tank full indicator
There are a few complaints about how noisy this unit is however in our own tests we found it performed quite well and is certainly no louder than similar models in its price bracket.
There are dozens of other brands and models to choose from, so you should have no problem finding one that suits your needs.
How to Choose the Best Dehumidifier
The best way to choose a dehumidifier is to read some dehumidifier reviews and find one that has all of the features to meet your needs. Some things to consider:
- The size of your space. If you have a large room you should choose a model that is both powerful and energy efficient.
- Is it going to be moved? If you plan to move your dehumidifier from room to room then you need to find a lightweight model or one that comes on wheels for easy movement.
- Your energy costs. Some of these models can cost as much as £30-£40 a month if ran continuously. If efficiency is important to you then you should buy the most efficient model you can find.
There are a number of health benefits to using a dehumidifier. By reading some reviews and knowing your needs you can make a choice that is right for your living space.